Have you ever before heard of the Haqqanis? I didnâ€™t think so. Like Al Qaeda, about which no one had ever heard prior to 9/11, the â€œHaqqani Networkâ€ has popped up in time of need to justify Americaâ€™s next war–Pakistan.
President Obamaâ€™s claim that he had Al Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden exterminated deflated the threat from that long-serving bogyman. A terror organization that left its leader, unarmed and undefended, a sitting duck for assassination no longer seemed formidable. Time for a new, more threatening, bogyman, the pursuit of which will keep the â€œwar on terrorâ€ going.
Now Americaâ€™s â€œworst enemyâ€ is the Haqqanis. Moreover, unlike Al Qaeda, which was never tied to a country, the Haqqani Network, according to Admiral Mike Mullen, chairman of the US Joint Chiefs of Staff, is a â€œveritable armâ€ of the Pakistani governmentâ€™s intelligence service, ISI. Washington claims that the ISI ordered its Haqqani Network to attack the US Embassy in Kabul, Afghanistan, on September 13 along with the US military base in Wadak province.
Senator Lindsey Graham, a member of the Armed Services committee and one of the main Republican warmongers, declared that â€œall options are on the tableâ€ and gave the Pentagon his assurance that in Congress there was broad bipartisan support for a US military attack on Pakistan.
As Washington has been killing large numbers of Pakistani civilians with drones and has forced the Pakistani army to hunt for Al Qaeda throughout most of Pakistan, producing tens of thousands or more of dislocated Pakistanis in the process, Sen. Graham must have something larger in mind.
The Pakistani government thinks so, too. The Pakistani prime minister,Yousuf Raza Gilani, called his foreign minister home from talks in Washington and ordered an emergency meeting of the government to assess the prospect of an American invasion.
Meanwhile, Washington is rounding up additional reasons to add to the new threat from the Haqqanis to justify making war on Pakistan: Pakistan has nuclear weapons and is unstable and the nukes could fall into the wrong hands; the US canâ€™t win in Afghanistan until it has eliminated sanctuaries in Pakistan; blah-blah.
Washington has been trying to bully Pakistan into launching a military operation against its own people in North Waziristan. Pakistan has good reasons for resisting this demand. Washingtonâ€™s use of the new â€œHaqqani threatâ€ as an invasion excuse could be Washingtonâ€™s way of overcoming Pakistanâ€™s resistance to attacking its North Waziristan provence, or it could be, as some Pakistani political leaders say, and the Pakistani government fears, a â€œdramaâ€ created by Washington to justify a military assault on yet another Muslim country.
Over the years of its servitude as an American puppet, the Pakistan government has brought this on itself. Pakistanis let the US purchase the Pakistan government, train and equip its military, and establish CIA interface with Pakistani intelligence. A government so dependent on Washington could say little when Washington began violating its sovereignty, sending in drones and special forces teams to kill alleged Al Qaeda, but usually women, children, and farmers. Unable to subdue after a decade a small number of Taliban fighters in Afghanistan, Washington has placed the blame for its military failure on Pakistan, just as Washington blamed the long drawn-out war on the Iraqi people on Iranâ€™s alleged support for the Iraqi resistance to American occupation.
Some knowledgeable analystsâ€™ about whom you will never hear in the â€œmainstream media,â€ say that the US military/security complex and their neoconservative whores are orchestrating World War III before Russia and China can get prepared. As a result of the communist oppression, a signifiant percentage of the Russian population is in the American orbit. These Russians trust Washington more than they trust Putin. The Chinese are too occupied dealing with the perils of rapid economic growth to prepare for war and are far behind the threat.
War, however, is the lifeblood of the profits of the military/security complex, and war is the chosen method of the neoconservatives for achieving their goal of American hegemony.
Pakistan borders China and former constituent parts of the Soviet Union in which the US now has military bases on Russiaâ€™s borders. US war upon and occupation of Pakistan is likely to awaken the somnolent Russians and Chinese. As both possess nuclear ICBMs, the outcome of the military/security complexâ€™s greed for profits and the neoconservativesâ€™ greed for empire could be the extinction of life on earth.
The patriots and super-patriots who fall in with the agendas of the military-security complex and the flag-waving neoconservatives are furthering the â€œend-timesâ€ outcome so fervently desired by the rapture evangelicals, who will waft up to heaven while the rest of us die on earth.
This is not President Reaganâ€™s hoped for outcome from ending the cold war.
- Osama bin Ladenâ€™s Second Death by Dr. Paul Craig Roberts
- The Bogus War on Terrorism: How America and Britain were Defeated in Iraq and Afghanistan? by Mahboob A. Khawaja
- Barbarism on the High Seas – America’s Complicity in Evil By PAUL CRAIG ROBERTS
- Republic of Fools – The Evil Empire – By PAUL CRAIG ROBERTS
- Fabricating a Case Against Iran – Another War in the Works By PAUL CRAIG ROBERTS
- Why Not Sanctions for Israel? By PAUL CRAIG ROBERTS
- Threatening Iran By PAUL CRAIG ROBERTS
- Have the Neocons and Israel Won? – The U.S. Regime-Change Recipe for Iran – By PAUL CRAIG ROBERTS
- Full text (&video): Obama’s Cairo address
- The End of Free Speech? – Criminalizing Criticism of Israel By PAUL CRAIG ROBERTS
- Endless Propaganda – The War on Terror is a Hoax By PAUL CRAIG ROBERTS
- How Israel is Multiplying Hamas by a Thousand By URI AVNERY
- World Tires of Rule by Dollar By PAUL CRAIG ROBERTS
- A Futile Bailout as Darkness Falls on America By PAUL CRAIG ROBERTS
- Why America Should Listen to Ahmadinejad By PAUL CRAIG ROBERTS
- Oil and Racism By REZA FIYOUZAT
- How Empires Fall – PAUL CRAIG ROBERTS
- The Agenda Behind the Hoax – What the Iraq War is About – Paul Craig Roberts
- A Bankrupt Superpower – The Collapse of American Power
- The Iraqi Genocide By PAUL CRAIG ROBERTS
- From Iraq to Burma – Hypocrisy Rules the West By PAUL CRAIG ROBERTS
- “No American President Can Stand Up to Israel” – Paul Craig Roberts
- Why Bush Will Nuke Iran – Paul Craig Roberts