Now that all the accusations and insults about the Gaza Flotilla and Helen Thomas incidents have been hurled from both sides, it is time to look at the often-ignored facts underlying the Israel-Palestine conflict. Because while it is very hard to believe in the present atmosphere, peace and justice for both Palestinians and Jews is possible â€“ extremely difficult to achieve to be sure, but possible nevertheless.
1. After the horrors of Hitlerâ€™s Germany it was natural for those Jews to want a country of their own where they would be forever free from persecution. But that â€œhomelandâ€ should have been carved out of the land of the country that massacred them â€“ give them a piece of Germany, and probably Poland. Instead, the big powers helped the Zionists invade Palestine and brutalize a people who had not done the Jews any harm.
2. The Jews and Muslims are not natural enemies. Until 1895 they had lived together in peace in Palestine for more than1200 years. After being expelled from Jerusalem in 70 A.D., Jews were not allowed to live there for over 500 years, but when the Muslim army took that city in 637 A.D. they invited the Jews to return. And Jews and Muslims lived there in peace until that way of life was destroyed by Europeans.
3. â€œThe Invention of the Jewish Peopleâ€ by Israeli historian Shlomo Sand (which was a best seller in Israel for months) is the latest in a series of books by Israeli historians that prove that the overwhelming majority of people who practice the Jewish religion are not descendants of the biblical Hebrews but descendants of converts (Ashkenazi) and mostly of European origin. There is no such thing as an ethnic Jewish identity.
4. Professor Sand writes that even the mass dispersion of the Jews by the Romans (the basis for the claim of centuries of persecution and the â€œright of returnâ€) is merely a survival myth that has no basis in fact. The Romans never showed any inclination to do that to any other rebellious people and the Roman legions did not have the logistical ability to move tens of thousands of people to the far corners of the empire.
5. None of those Israeli historians, other Jewish writers, and Jews who protest the inhuman treatment of the Palestinians, can be called â€œself-hating Jewsâ€ since not one of them has ever called for the Zionists to give up the land they took illegally and go back to Europe as Helen Thomas said they should. All those writers support either the â€œtwo-stateâ€ or the â€œone-stateâ€ solution; none of them disputes the Jewsâ€™ right to be there.
6. Even if the Jews had a valid biblical heritage, that would not give them any legal claim to Palestinian land in the 20th century. Israel was created by the 1946-48 Zionist invasion, clear violation of international law, the U. N.â€™s own charter, and any concept of morality and decency. But the Palestinian people have been abandoned by the entire world, so they feel they have the right to fight back by any means possible.
7. Just because terrorism is always wrong does not mean we are always right. The U. S. has supported both the 1946-48 invasion and the 60 years of brutal ethnic cleansing since then in violation of international law and our own Constitution. In 1946, the U. S. did not have one Arab enemy in the entire world, and not one Muslim cleric was calling us â€œThe Great Satanâ€. But today, because of our actions, thousands are willing to die just to kill a few of us. We have created anti-American extremism in countries that never had it before.
8. Even David Ben Gurion, one of the founders of Israel, recognized that Zionism makes peace in Palestine clearly impossible. In 1956 he said, â€œIf I were an Arab leader, I would never make peace with Israel. That is natural: we have come here and stolen their country. Why would they accept that?â€ But he still believed that Zionists had the right to displace the Palestinians, which they have been relentlessly doing ever since.
So despite her hasty choice of words, Helen Thomas is right: to end the conflict, the Zionists will have to leave. And the claim that it is too late for this because the Zionists have lived there too long is not supported by history: the French, British, Spanish, Dutch, and Turks all eventually had to give up the countries they had colonized because they never had any right to that land, and they were there far longer than the Zionists have been in Palestine. To establish a Jewish homeland in Europe instead would take diplomatic pressure, heavy economic pressure, and possibly even the use of force, but it would bring peace and justice for both sides.
Authorâ€™s note — The statement that Israel is â€œthe only democracy in the Middle Eastâ€ is not true. Many Jewish and other writers have pointed out that any nation based on ethnicity or religion is by definition not a democracy. So Israel, a Jewish state, cannot be any more democratic than Iran, an Islamic state. And the claim that Israel is a U.S. ally is also false. They have stolen U.S. nuclear materials, planted spies in our defense department, sold military equipment to apartheid South Africa and communist China (and even offered South Africa nuclear weapons technology), and deliberately attacked the USS Liberty, killing 34 of our sailors and wounding 171 others. The U.S. has no plausible reason to support the Jews in Palestine.
Jefferson Chase lives in Connecticut.
- The Spot-and-Shoot Game – Remote-Controlled Killing By JONATHAN COOK
- Why Tony Blair is the Most Useless Peace Envoy on the Planet – Tony and the Shah of Palestine By YVONNE RIDLEY
- Biden and the Settlements – Wiping the Spit Off His Face By URI AVNERY
- Israel has friends in Christian places – The Age – 04 Mar.10
- The Myth of Muslim Conquest By PATRICK HAENNI and SAMI AMGHAR
- A Casualty of U.S. Foreign Policy – The Sovereignty of Muslim Nations – By LIAQUAT ALI KHAN
- Surprising Results of CFR Survey – What the U.S. Elite Really Thinks About Israel By JEFFREY BLANKFORT
- What Goldstone says about the US
- The Israel Project’s 2009 Global Language Dictionary (PDF Book)
- Why Not Sanctions for Israel? By PAUL CRAIG ROBERTS
- IT WASN’T MUSLIMS
- Israeli Scholar Disputes Founding Myth
- The State That Tolerates No Criticism – How Israel Gives Jews a Bad Name By SAUL LANDAU
- The economic, social and political disaster produced by the Zionist project – Jean Shaoul
- Israeli War Crimes – Under the Black Flag By URI AVNERY
- 23 proofs of Israel’s defeat in the 23-day war
- THE HISTORY OF PALESTINE
- Israeli Attack Injures 1.5 Million Gazans By JONATHAN COOK
- Living on Borrowed Time in a Stolen Land By Gilad Atzmon
- Holocaust Denied – The lying silence of those who know by John Pilger
- Robert Fisk: Why do they hate the West so much, we will ask
- Israel Has No Intention of Granting a Palestinian State – If Hamas Did Not Exist By JENNIFER LOEWENSTEIN
- Message of Massacre Lives on for Palestinians -The Executions at Kafr Qassem By JONATHAN COOK
- Israel soldier shoots arrested Palestinian on film
- Separation and Ethnic Cleansing- Israel’s Encaging of Gaza – Jonathon Cook
- Palestine Pre – 1947
- Al Nakba Commemoration – 60 Years of Great Courage, Suffering, Struggle and Survival
- Israel at 60 – Crusader Anxiety By Uri Avnery
- Are We Witnessing the Death of Israel by a Thousand Cuts? – Jonathon Power
- “Not You! You!!!” – Tibet and Palestine By URI AVNERY
- Israel to demolish Mosque because there is no building permit (Could that be because the Mosque was built 700 years ago)
- History Of Violence – Belly – The Truth
- It’s Not Just The Palestinians Who Won’t Recognize A “Jewish State” (hint..USA)
- At least 1,700 Palestinians were slaughtered on Israel’s say-so, 25 years ago this week
- Dark side of Jewish dream – SMH – 26.Aug.07
- Humiliation and Child Abuse at Israeli Checkpoints – Strip-Searching Children By ALISON WEIR
- Saint Catherine’s Monastery, Mount Sinai
- The Restrictions Remain – Life Under Prohibition in Palestine By AMIRA HASS
- Carter blames Israel for Mideast conflict
- The truth about the sword
- The Pope’s Evil Legend – Mohammed’s Sword by Uri Avnery
- Quotes of peace
- The Balfour Decision Reconsidered
- Sonic Weapons Over Palestine
- Israeli Mother Addresses European Parliament March 8, 2005
- Usurping Palestine – 20 Quick facts – Did you know…