Even Jimmy Carter, who single handedly (without much Jewish appreciation) has done more to make Israel secure than any other living person, canâ€™t change the march of demographics. Within the boundaries of the State of Israel and the occupied territories there are 5.4 million Jews and 4.6 million Palestinians. The Palestinian birth rate is almost three times that of the Israeli Jews. If anything the Jewish population is starting to fall as an increasing number of Jews decide that Israel has no future for them and in significant numbers emigrate. The far seeing Richard Nixon, when asked by Patrick Buchanan and his wife, how he saw the future of Israel, turned down his thumb â€œlike a Roman emperor at the gladiatorsâ€™ arenaâ€.
Perhaps we are witnessing the death of Israel by a thousand cuts, the attrition of conflict and the attrition of population. Maybe after all the rabbis of Vienna who were sent in 1897 on a fact-finding mission to Palestine to investigate whether it was a suitable place for Jewish settlement were right.
They reported back that the â€œbride was beautiful but married to another man.â€ The rabbis had been moved to visit Palestine by Theodore Herzl, an Austrian journalist, who had just published his highly influential book, â€œThe Jewish Stateâ€, which launched the movement called â€œpolitical Zionismâ€.
Herzl, a broad minded man, was happy to think of the new Israel in Argentina which had a considerable Jewish migration in the 19th century and was well away from the clutches of anti-Semitic Europe.
He was also inclined to accept the offer of Joseph Chamberlain, then the British colonial secretary, for a site on the Uasin Gishu plateau near Nairobi in what was then British East Africa. The Zionist Conference overruled him.
But when the British government finally gave in to Zionist lobbying and, in the words, of the Balfour Declaration of 1917, favored â€œthe establishment in Palestine of a national home for the Jewish peopleâ€ the only Jewish member of the Cabinet, Edwin Samuel Montague, denounced the whole project as a reconstruction of the tower of Babel.
â€œPalestineâ€, he said, â€œwould become the worldâ€™s ghettoâ€. Lord Curzon, the former viceroy of India, observed that Britain had â€œa stronger claim to parts of Franceâ€ than the Jews did to Palestine after two millennia of absence. He denounced it as an act of â€œsentimental idealismâ€.
There are few rewards in this life for being farsighted on political questions. The Zionists still have the bit between their teeth on the creation of a permanent Jewish state, even as they face self-destruction.
A few perhaps can see it coming and among the few is the Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Olmert.
In an interview last November he said, â€œIf the day comes when the two-state solution collapses, and we face a South African-style struggle for equal voting rights (also for the Palestinians in the territories) then, as soon as that happens, the State of Israel is finished.â€
For the Zionist this would be a terrible end. But need it be for rank and file Jews who just want to bring up their families and live in an atmosphere emptied of violence? (Read Israeli novelist Shifra Hornâ€™s book, â€œOde to Joyâ€ if you want to smell the cordite and sense deep in the soul their everyday fear of being blown up.)
But unmistakably this is the direction events and demographics are moving and arguably the best thing that outsiders can now do for Israel is to stop trying to help organize the creation of a two-state solution and let the Israelis themselves look the Palestinians in the eye as the demographics bite. If the white South Africans can do it so can the Israelis. If this were the solution the Israelis would find that the only thing that most Palestinians would now want is a prosperous, capitalist economy that lives in peace with its neighbors.
The Jews would not be driven into the sea. But those who wanted to return to Europe, America or even Russia would be more than welcome. Both Germany and Russia, the great centers of anti-Semitism in the past, have seemed to have flushed that horror away.
Life does move on. Some problems, like apartheid, do get solved, even if not very long ago they seemed intractable.
The Jews should never have tried to turn back the historical clock by returning to Palestine after fleeing in AD 70.
But now they are there in such significant numbers their only solution is to honor the rest of the text of the Balfour Declaration.
â€œNothing should be done that may prejudice the civil and religious rights of the existing non-Jewish communities in Palestineâ€, it said. This was the British condition. The Israelis overlook it today at their peril.
- Israelis Enjoy Torturing Palestinians – IOL
- Shifting Targets – The Administrationâ€™s plan for Iran by Seymour M. Hersh
- Israel’s Agenda For Ethnic Cleansing and Transfer – Victoria Buch – 19 Sep.07
- At least 1,700 Palestinians were slaughtered on Israel’s say-so, 25 years ago this week
- Dark side of Jewish dream – SMH – 26.Aug.07
- Israel’s Jewish Problem in Tehran – Jonathon Cook
- Occupation? What Occupation? – A Dark Summit By URI AVNERY
- Crocodile Tears – The Gaza Cage By URI AVNERY
- The Rot of Occupation – 40 Bad Years – By URI AVNERY
- Who’s Behind the Fighting in North Lebanon?
- Israeli Forest Named After Australian Prime Minister – SONJA KARKAR
- The day Israel used a boy as a human shield (They have been doing this for years, lets not pretend to be suprised)
- Humiliation and Child Abuse at Israeli Checkpoints – Strip-Searching Children By ALISON WEIR
- Jewish coalition calls for open debate on Palestine – SMH – 05 Mar.07
- Israel’s Provocations:The Method in the Madness – Uri Avnery
- The Trap of Recognizing Israel – Jonathon Cook
- Jewish Terrorism Caught on Video
- The Palestinian Accords – Facing Mecca – Uri Avnery
- Antiquities Authority hid discovery of Islamic site at Mugrabi – AAP
- Israel’s Provocations Threaten Jerusalem – Apocalyptic Archaeology – Sonja Karkar
- The Restrictions Remain – Life Under Prohibition in Palestine By AMIRA HASS
- This Road is for Jews Only – Yes, There is Apartheid in Israel By SHULAMIT ALONI
- Carter blames Israel for Mideast conflict
- Israeli troops open fire on women outside mosque – The Guardian – 03 Nov.06
- A country lost in its own region – Anthony Lowenstein – The Age – 10 Nov.06
- Israel’s influence of US policy & the Israeli lobby
- HOW HEZBOLLAH DEFEATED ISRAEL – PART 3: The political war
- HOW HEZBOLLAH DEFEATED ISRAEL – PART 2- Winning the ground war
- HOW HEZBOLLAH DEFEATED ISRAEL – PART 1: Winning the intelligence war
- 30 Years Of U.S. UN Vetoes – How the U.S. has Voted /Vetoed
- Iran’s proud but discreet Jews – BBC – 22 Sep.06
- Israeli Police in action..
- Putting Words in Ahmadinejad’s Mouth – VIRGINIA TILLEY
- Hezbollah 2, Israel 0 — Joanna Francis
- How to Deal with The Lobby – The De-Zionization of the American Mind By JEAN BRICMONT
- Quotes of peace
- Liberators as Murderers – The Way Americans Like Their War – Robert Fisk – 03 June.06
- Sonic Weapons Over Palestine
- Why Jews who follow the Torah do not support Zionism or modern Israel.
- Israeli Mother Addresses European Parliament March 8, 2005
- Usurping Palestine – 20 Quick facts – Did you know…
- 3-Year-Old Child’s Skull Crushed at Israeli Checkpoint
- The Jews of Iraq