In 2004, musician Izzat Majeed founded Sachal Studios to create a space for traditional music in a nation that had rejected its musical roots. Sharia law had decimated Pakistani orchestras in the late 1970s, and yet the Sachal musicians remain committed to revitalizing the customs of their forefathers. After several largely unnoticed classical and folk album releases, the group produces a record combining South Asian improvisation with jazz. One track in particular, a cover of Dave Brubeck’s “Take Five,” becomes a runaway hit, and Sachal find themselves presented with the opportunity of a lifetimeâ€”the chance to perform live with Wynton Marsalis at Lincoln Center. As Obaid-Chinoy and Schocken’s camera follows the musicians around New York, they intimately capture both the challenges and joys of this Eastern and Western musical fusion, culminating in virtuosic concert footage of Sachal and Marsalis’s unprecedented collaboration.
- China's president opens long-delayed southern sea bridge October 23, 2018
- Jamal Khashoggi case: All the latest updates October 23, 2018
- Bolsonaro wants to 'cleanse' Brazil of left-wing 'criminals' October 23, 2018
- US midterms: The Senate races you need to watch October 22, 2018
- How the Saudi narrative of Khashoggi's killing changed October 22, 2018
- Mars likely to have enough oxygen to support life: study October 22, 2018
- 'Potentially catastrophic' Hurricane Willa barrels towards Mexico October 22, 2018
- Anti-Muslim campaigning in the US is a 'losing strategy': report October 22, 2018
- Yemen: Death toll from tropical storm Luban rises to 12 October 22, 2018
- Can Saudi Arabia get away with murder? October 22, 2018
- Bonanza for Weapons Industry: Trump Withdraws From Reagan/Gorbachev Nuke Treaty
- Quitting the INF Treaty Is a Serious Mistake
- Why Did an American Hit Squad Kill Politicians in Yemen?
- The Corporatist War on Free Speech – Are We a Nation of Sheep?
- Khashoggi Is Only One Reason the US Should Cut Its Saudi Ties
- Ron Paul asks: With Nikki Haley Gone, Will Palestinians Get a Better Deal?
- Congress Members Urge Trump To Meddle in Hungary’s Elections
- Saudis Threaten Trump: ‘You Want $400 Oil?’
- The Cost of Enabling Reckless Clients
- Militarists’ Grip Over Canada’s Parliament
Khanfactor ShopMake Custom Gifts at CafePress
- The Serena Williams cartoon exposes Australia’s ignorance on race – Alana Lentin
- Flashback: Checking his privilege: A response to Tal Fortgang – By Neal Schindler
- Flashback: Dear Privileged-at-Princeton: You. Are. Privileged. And Meritocracy Is a Myth. By BRIANA PAYTON May 6, 2014 (Response to Tal Fortang)
- Flashback: Why I’ll Never Apologize for My White Male Privilege – Tal Fortang – 2.May.14
- My white friend asked me to explain white privilege, so I decided to be honest. – LORI LAKIN HUTCHERSON 19 October 2017
- kf presents
- Middle East
- Not Terrorism
- Religion of Abraham
- Saudi Arabia
- South Asia