In 2004, musician Izzat Majeed founded Sachal Studios to create a space for traditional music in a nation that had rejected its musical roots. Sharia law had decimated Pakistani orchestras in the late 1970s, and yet the Sachal musicians remain committed to revitalizing the customs of their forefathers. After several largely unnoticed classical and folk album releases, the group produces a record combining South Asian improvisation with jazz. One track in particular, a cover of Dave Brubeck’s “Take Five,” becomes a runaway hit, and Sachal find themselves presented with the opportunity of a lifetimeâ€”the chance to perform live with Wynton Marsalis at Lincoln Center. As Obaid-Chinoy and Schocken’s camera follows the musicians around New York, they intimately capture both the challenges and joys of this Eastern and Western musical fusion, culminating in virtuosic concert footage of Sachal and Marsalis’s unprecedented collaboration.
- What's next for Turkey after lira slump? August 14, 2018
- Turkey lira crisis: Six things you need to know August 14, 2018
- Italy: Genoa bridge collapse kills and injures dozens August 14, 2018
- Sierra Leone marks one year since devastating mudslide August 14, 2018
- Who is to blame for Turkey's financial crisis? August 14, 2018
- Sun, sea and single-sex beaches: Turkey's halal tourism boom August 14, 2018
- Nebraska carries out first US execution using opioid fentanyl August 14, 2018
- Venezuela's Maduro announces curbs to cheap gas August 14, 2018
- Colombia blocks treasure hunters from 'holy grail of shipwrecks' August 14, 2018
- Radio for refugees: Show provides information on asylum August 14, 2018
- Peter Van Buren on Tucker Carlson About His Lifetime Ban by Twitter
- Why Does Facebook Use NATO To Help Censor Users?
- The US Is Deeply Complicit in Saudi Coalition Crimes in Yemen
- Bear Witness to American War Crimes
- The Pathetic US Response to the Latest Saudi Massacre
- Pompeo Slaps On Major Russia Sanctions… Over Unproven UK Poisoning!
- Peter Van Buren on Consortium News Radio Talks Whistleblowing and His Lifetime Twitter Ban
- Israeli Peace Activist Uri Avnery Hospitalized in Critical Condition
- What if a #MAGA Guy Ate Twitter’s Face?
- Senate Moves To Seize The Internet – Do We Need More Government Censorship?
Khanfactor ShopMake Custom Gifts at CafePress
- kf presents
- Middle East
- Not Terrorism
- Religion of Abraham
- Saudi Arabia
- South Asia